November Emails | Click Here for Archives
Click on the email you would like to read. If you cannot find the email you are searching for please contact the webmaster.
Weekly Communication - November 7, 2013
If you or your group has items that you would like included in these communications, please send them to Rob Meyers at firstname.lastname@example.org by noon on Wednesday.
Schedule for the week of November 11 through November 17:
Tues., Nov. 12
- National Art Honor Society induction, 6 p.m.
Wed., Nov. 13
- Sophomore class Mass, 8:35 a.m.
- Winter sports parent meeting in the Commons, 7 p.m.
- Skyhawk Parent Association meeting, 7 p.m.
Thurs., Nov. 14
- Volleyball state tournament in Grand Island, TBA
- Mock Trial at the Douglas County Courthouse, 4:30 p.m.
Fri., Nov. 15
- Volleyball state tournament in Grand Island, TBA
- Varsity football playoff game, TBA
- Hawkfest (activity evening for 7th and 8th graders), 7:30 p.m.
Volleyball Sub-State Match
The SkyHawk volleyball team will be competing this Saturday, Nov. 9 against Duchesne at 1 p.m. The winner of this game, played at Skutt Catholic, will advance to the volleyball state tournament next week. Admission is $5 for adults and $4 for students. This is an NSAA sponsored event, so admission is required for all patrons attending the match. Please come out on Saturday and cheer the SkyHawks on to victory.
Service Trips at Skutt Catholic
Students are invited to participate in one of four service trips this coming year. Contact Mrs. Schmitz for more information at email@example.com. Download the attached flyer for more information.
- SkyHawks in the City - Immerse yourself in a weekend of service in our own backyard. Service sites could include Habitat for Humanity, Open Door Mission, Heart Ministry Center, Completely Kids, VSP Club, and more! Nov. 22 - 24 or March 21 - 23. Cost: $150 (includes transportation, lodging, and all meals). See the attached flyer for more information.
- Summer Service Trip to Rosebud Indian Reservation - Spend a week this summer volunteering on the Rosebud Indian Reservation. June 15 - 20 or July 27 - Aug. 1. Cost: $400-$450 approximately. See the attached flyer for more information.
Study Survival Kits
Help someone make studying for final exams a little easier and more exciting by buying them a study survival kit! The kit is $5 and is sponsored by the 2014 Summer Service Trip. The order forms and payment are due by Fri., Dec. 6. For more information, contact Mrs. Rachel Twist at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New HawkNest Items
Nike Tempo Shorts -
colors - black or white
sizes - AXS AS AM
cost - $27
Basketball Shorts w/Pockets -
color - gray w/black & white
sizes - AS AM AL AXL 2XL
cost - $30
Staff Christmas Gift Collection
Start your Christmas shopping early by donating to the Staff Christmas Gift Fund. Each year, the parents and Parent Association (previously known as the Booster Club) show their appreciation for the hard work and dedication of all teachers and staff. Last year, we were able to give each staff member a cash gift.
Please send your donation to the school office:
SKUTT CATHOLIC PARENT ASSOCIATION
Attn: Staff Christmas Gift Fund
3131 S 156th St
Omaha, NE 68130
SkyHawk Parent Association News (Formerly known as the Booster Club)
- Wed., Nov. 13: Skutt Catholic Parents Association meeting at 7 pm in the Media Center
- Wed., Nov. 13 is Staff Appreciation Pie Day. Show your support for our wonderful staff by donating a pie. Sign up online to donate a pie. Questions? Contact Denise Kolkman at email@example.com.
Host Family Needed
We are in need of a family to host a 15-year-old boy from China. He is currently attending Skutt Catholic High School but would like to live closer to the school than his current home. He is a very good student and spends a lot of time studying. Please contact Paula Peters at (402) 689-0657 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in hosting this student. Thank you!
Dance Team Clinic
If you have a daughter, age 5 - 10, please follow the link below to sign up for the Skutt Catholic Dance Team Winter Kiddie Clinic. All girls participating in our clinic, to be held Fri., Dec. 20 from 4 - 8 p.m., will learn all about dance from our award winning dance team, and have the opportunity to perform at the Varsity Boys basketball game to be held that evening at 7 p.m. This will be a night of crafts, snacks, dinner, dancing, and fun with friends…old and new!
As they have done each year since 1967, students from Creighton Prep, Marian, Duchesne, Mercy, Gross, Skutt Catholic, Roncalli, and Mount Michael respond to the unacceptable situation of the difficulties families face getting enough to eat by providing food boxes to materially-poor families. Thank you for the numerous ways you have supported this program through the years. We greatly appreciate all you have done for the students and for those in our community who do not have enough food.
On Sat., Dec. 21 students will deliver food boxes directly to those who are in need. Students will see Christ in those they meet and live out the Gospel messages in one small way.
Please consider supporting O.O.’s efforts again this year with a donation of time, money, or resources. You may also support O.O. by renewing your magazines through us. If you would like to make a monetary donation, checks made out to Operation Others can be sent to 7400 Western Ave, Omaha, NE 68114 . By purchasing through the food bank, a one dollar donation to O.O. can be used to purchase a retail equivalent of $3 worth of food. Therefore, we can provide food for a family of four for approximately $25. More donation information can be found on the O.O.'s website.
Some upcoming events:
- November 10: Pancake Breakfast at St. Leo’s Parish (102nd and Blondo) from 8 a.m. - Noon. Sponsored by the St. Leo’s Knights of Columbus in support of O.O. Adults $7, children $3, and families $22.
- November 23: Turkey Drive. Please donate a turkey of any brand/size to one of our drop-off locations from 8 a.m. - 2 p.m. Locations include: Creighton Prep East Parking Lot, Skutt Catholic Parking Lot, and GolfTec (114th and Dodge) parking lot. This year we hope to collect 800 turkeys!
- December 19-21: Set-up, packaging, and delivery at the warehouse (see O.O.'s website for times and updates regarding this year’s warehouse location)
Hy-Vee Cash for Students Program
Hy-Vee is continuing its CASH FOR STUDENTS fundraising program that they began in 1999 to support area private and public schools. It has been a huge commitment on the part of Hy-Vee to emphasize the value the corporation places on the importance of education. Over $442,000 has been donated to area schools since the program’s beginning.
This year’s CASH FOR STUDENTS program began Sun., Sept. 1 and continues through Tues., Dec. 31, 2013.
The program is very simple to participate in. Parents, grandparents, friends, staff, and administrators can shop at any of the 14 Omaha and Council Bluffs Hy-Vee stores. It also includes receipts for purchases of fuel at the stores that have that feature. Just save your receipts and turn them into Skutt Catholic via a student, the mail, or just drop them off at the school office.
Hy-Vee agrees to donate $1 for every $200 spent. The maximum award to be donated per school is $2,000. We are excited for Skutt Catholic to participate in the CASH FOR STUDENTS program. We will divide the proceeds among the various student programs. EVERYONE’S A WINNER! School awards are based solely on shopping dollars spent. Every school can qualify for the maximum award of $2,000!
rSchool Schedule Website
All activity schedules can be found at www.rivercitiesconference.org. Simply click on Skutt Catholic on the right side of the screen and you have access to all school activity schedules and facility usage.